Happy almost Thanksgiving!
With all my birthday festivities, I definitely feel like I’m eating at Thanksgiving level (oops). I had one last birthday dinner at Roux last night and it was absolutely fantastic. We started with a bottle of Pinot Noir and 2 appetizers to share: “Abita Beer-battered Crab Beignets” and “Char-Grilled Oysters.” I forgot to snap a picture, but both were amazing!!
For my main course, I ordered the “Not Your Ordinary Shrimp & Grits.” I tend to order Shrimp n Grits anywhere that serves them (it’s kind of a problem…) and these were definitely not ordinary Shrimp n Grits, but they were SO good. There was one large prawn stuffed with crab and delicious cream cheese grits on the side. YUM.
We ended the meal with coffee and “Bourbon Butterscotch Pecan Bread Pudding.” It was so rich and delicious and was the perfect ending to our meals. I would HIGHLY recommend this restaurant and I am dying to go back.
Now for the top 5 things I love about Thanksgiving:
1. Cooking while watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Every year for as long as I can remember, we turn on the parade in the morning and I help my mom cook all the delicious food. All these years of helping my mom is where I got my love for cooking and baking! Oh and the taste-testing is great too 🙂
2. Family. I love being able to spend time with my family. We always do Thanksgiving at my aunt’s house and my extended family comes over and my grandma comes in town every year. We also always have at least a few non-family members: neighbors, boyfriends/girlfriends, random homeless people from the side of the street (okay, that one is a bit extreme, but we always joke that one day that will happen because my mom is always inviting anyone who doesn’t have a place to go for Thanksgiving).
3. Christmas Season. I LOVE everything about the Christmas season and I really feel like Thanksgiving kicks off the season. My aunt already has Christmas decorations up when we go over there, there is Christmas music playing, and it’s just a really great way to start off the best time of the year!
4. The Food. I know I already dedicated a whole post to the food, but it’s just so delicious it deserves to be mentioned again 🙂
5. Seeing old friends. Most of my childhood friends live in different cities now, but they all come home for Thanksgiving and I love being able to see them!
What are your favorite things about Thanksgiving?
What are you doing for Turkey Day?